Every family should a meatball and spaghetti recipe, this one is ours, adapted from King Adz 'Urban Cookbook'. Once you've tasted it you won't go back to your old recipe!!
- 500 grams of minced beef
- 100 grams of matzo meal (I use bread crumbs or ground plain crackers)
- 20 grams of grated Parmesan
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of dried basil
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- a splash of red wine
- 125 ml of milk
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 large tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- a dash of chilli
- a dash of smoked sweet paprika
- a sprinkle of thyme
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
To make the meatballs mix all of the ingredients together except the milk. Make sure you de-bling yourself as this gets a little messy! Use the milk if you are having trouble getting it to stick together (I often only use a little bit). Shape small amounts of meat into balls, I go for golf ball sizes and place on a greased baking tray. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 200ºC.
For the sauce add some olive oil to a pan add the garlic, celery and onion for 3-5 minutes until they start to wilt. then add all of the remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour or so. Its best to keep the lid on the pan.
10 minutes before the sauce is ready boil your favourite pasta and voila!
Get The Book